Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 1, Take 2, or 3 or 4 or 5.....

Hello. My name is Kari, and I start weight loss journeys and don't finish them on a regular basis.

So here we go...The body transformation challenge at the gym is on again. I weighed in yesterday morning and let me tell you, it was not pretty. I am beginning this year's challenge 10 pounds heavier than last year's. This means that not only did I gain back the 10 or so pounds I lost on last year's challenge, but another 10 I had already lost before the challenge began. What the heck?! Just when I think I have things under 'control', I apparently lose all control!! Here's how Day 1 of this challenge looked:

Breakfast: Protein bar
Workout: 45 minutes on the elliptical
Post-Workout: Two eggs, mixed greens salad, 1 orange
Lunch: A Whole Foods salad bar salad...spinach, mixed greens, blueberries, strawberries, almonds, chicken, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, balsamic vinagrette
Snack: about 20 chocolate chips
Dinner: Mongolian Beef (Homemade) (strips of steak, in a sauce of soy sauce, garlic, water, cornstarch, red pepper flakes, over brown rice)
Dessert: small piece of chocolate cake, two wheat thins w/ some dip

I will admit I was hungry all damn day. It took me 1.5 hours to eat that salad at Whole Foods as I was chatting with a friend while I was eating. And it was a BIG salad! As I was walking out to the car, I thought to myself, "crap, I'm hungry". I drank water like crazy to try and ward off the 'hunger'. My husband was less than sympathetic as I was lusting after every food I saw on TV. He just doesn't understand because he doesn't snack, like ever. Food is not the enticing lover to him that it is to me.

I attended a Pampered Chef party last night. If you don't know, they make food at these parties...I was proud of myself for passing on one of the recipes that was made, and only indulging in a small piece of the cake. (Truth be told, I got a very small piece and it was so darn good, I went and got another very small piece....) I also only had a couple of munchies the hostess set out. And here is the BIG news....I passed on any drinks too. I had my water bottle with me, full of ice cold water, and sipped on that all night. Yes, this is Kari, for anyone who may think they're reading the wrong blog after that tidbit of information.

The results so far? Down 2.5 pounds today. I am not gonna go crazy over this because it's one darn day. But I stepped on the scale because I had to make sure I saw that the changes I made yesterday made a difference. And they did. Gonna try my best to stay on track today.

I'm getting ready to head to the gym. I'm focusing on just cardio at the moment. I'm staying with the elliptical for now to keep everything low impact. For anyone that struggles with joint pain, I really encourage you to try an elliptical. It really does help to get you moving without pounding on your knees or hips....I had to back off the treadmill for now because of those issues.

Here is what I need from anyone reading this blog....Help me, and help me to help others!! Last year, I was incredibly encouraged by the people who read it and shared with me their struggles, or told me they forwarded the blog on to a friend, or just gave me a word of encouragement. I'm writing the blog again so that I can again be held accountable, but also to hopefully strike a chord with someone. Perhaps they can see that I am struggling with similar things they may be struggling with. We are in this together, everybody!!!

I am trying to keep my food consumption in the front of my consciousness, instead of mindlessly grabbing whatever smells or looks good, or is staring me in the face. Yes, it takes some extra planning and some extra work. But again, I have to tell myself that it's worth it. That I am worth it.

Day 1: Difficult but invigorating. And so the journey begins....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment